I was taking a walk in the yard on Friday and looked up to see white feathers all over in front of the coop. We'd let the chickens out after work, and I instantly knew a hawk had attacked. Once I got a little closer I saw that the hawk was in fact still there, standing on the poor victim, while all the others shuffled from coop corner to corner totally in freak-out mode.
So like any good farmer would do, I ran to get my camera. (Getting a gun wouldn't do since hawks are federally protected by giant fines and what not). I snapped some shots and then entered the fence, and the hawk finally flew away as it screamed insults. I kept snapping shots until finally I turned my attention to the dead chicken. The dead disappearing chicken, that is, because it wasn't there.
Did the hawk fly away with it?
No. It was still alive! It had hopped up and joined the others.
After two days, it remains skittish about going outside and has a little limp, but like a catch and released fish it will tell a "you ain't gonna believe what happened" story for the rest of its days.
The hawk screamed the insults from a nearby perch halfway through to the next morning but finally found a snake to munch on and flew away. The battle will continue another day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment