Monday, February 22, 2010

Prenatal Reads

In my Expectant Father book The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be,
Second Edition, I read that reading to the baby from 16 weeks on has been shown to assist in brain development. We think this is very cool since we already try to read to each other and since we're so into books and reading. It is also supposed to help the baby connect to the father as shown in research where they check newborn baby reactions to daddy voices versus other voices.

Of course, Tricia and I have been having fun choosing different things to read. They say it doesn't matter, so I have been reading random things like the Expectant Father, the “how to garden” books, as well as our friend Yoli's new and wonderful novel “Cruisin' Sarah” Cruisin' Sarah: Winner of Mayhaven Award for Children's Fiction. Tricia also read some of the original Pooh stories last weekend, and I think I enjoyed that as much us the baby. We're starting to choose more children's stories, so if anybody has recommendations for great prenatal reads, please let us know.

2 comments:

  1. Maurice Sendak, LM Montgomery, Peter and the Starcatchers, Percy Jackson.

    You should also play a little Celtic Thunder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything Eric Carle is good. Gotta love the repetiton of "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?".

    Playing music is also supposed to be good for the baby in utero.

    Congrats on the boy. May I suggest that you avoid "D" names...I think the Waguespack side of the family is a little overloaded with them. Blame your brother. I wanted Jacob Daniel...

    ReplyDelete